Delicious Linzer cookie recipe with crunchy walnuts. Linzer cookies are believed to have originated in the City of Linz, Germany, and are traditionally two round cookies held together with a layer of preserves or jam. The raspberry fruit filling used in this soft buttery cookie complements the nutty flavor of the walnuts.
For the Pastry:
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, toasted and finely ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Icing:
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons rum or vanilla
- 1/4 cup California walnuts, finely chopped
For the Filling:
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In bowl beat butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. In small bowl whisk together flour, walnuts and cinnamon. Stir flour mixture into butter until well blended. Divide dough into three pieces and shape into discs. Wrap well with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each disc to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Using a 1 1/2 inch round fluted cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds. Use a small cutter to make holes in the center of half of the rounds. Arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets about 1 inch apart and chill in fridge for 15 minutes. Bake the cookies in the center of preheated oven, 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are pale golden, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and let cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. In bowl, whisk together icing sugar and rum. Brush over cookies with cutouts and sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts. Spoon approximately 1 teaspoon of the jam onto the bottom side of the solid cookies. Top with cutout cookies. Repeat with remaining cookies.