Simple to make from scratch. Rich and nutty flavor.
- 1 cup California walnut halves, rinsed (about 4 ounces)
- 3 cups water, plus more for soaking the walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Place walnuts in a bowl and fill with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cover and set aside at room temperature to soak at least 1 hour to 12 hours (this helps remove some of the tannins and makes them blend smoother).
- Drain walnuts and rinse thoroughly. Combine walnuts, 3 cups water, honey, vanilla, and salt in the carafe of a blender then blend on low until very smooth, at least 2 minutes.
- Serve as is, or if you desire a smoother milk, pour through cheesecloth or a coffee filter to strain. (Will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator.)