We're sorry, this page is currently unavailable.
- 1-3/4 cups walnuts, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (some can be walnut oil, if desired)
- 1/2 cup grated hard white cheddar cheese (or other hard white cheese)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a mortar and pestle, place ground walnuts, Dijon, red wine vinegar, shallots, a pinch of salt and black pepper, cheese.
- Start to slowly pour in the oil mixture while pounding with the pestle. A thick paste should develop that resembles a traditional pesto.
- Add chopped sage, and adjust seasoning to taste.