This holiday, treat your family and friends to something new, try our delicious Walnut Pie.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into tablespoon-size pieces
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups California walnuts, halves or large pieces
"I believe in sweet desserts, and this caramelly rich recipe with walnuts is tried and true! I've passed it on to my daughter Catherine, who served it at a restaurant in the Stanford Court Hotel. Since its publication in my Baking Book, it's been served in restaurants nationwide." - Marion Cunningham
PREPARE THE PIE SHELL
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the ingredients in a food processor and process until the dough masses together, stopping two or three times to scrape down the sides and push the dough into the blade.
- Form about two-thirds of the dough into a thick cake, then roll it out between two sheets of waxed paper, forming a circle about 12 inches across. (Extra dough can be rolled out, cut into desired shapes and baked until gold to make delicious cookies.)
- Peel off the top sheet of waxed paper, the flip the dough, paper side up, into a 9-inch pie pan. Peel off the waxed paper, pat the dough snugly into the pan, the flute the edges.
- Press a 12-inch square of heavy duty foil snugly into the pie shell, bake about 12 minutes, or until edges begin to brown.
- Remove the foil and bake about 5 minutes longer, or until the bottom of the pie shell looks dry but not brown. If the dough puffs up during the last few minutes, prick it with a fork to deflate. Cool before filling.
PREPARE THE FILLING, BAKE THE PIE & SERVE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat the butter, sugar and egg together until well mixed. Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared pie shell and bake about 30 to 35 mintues, or until the top has puffed slightly, looks dry and lightly browned.
- Let cool, and serve with softly whipped unsweetened cream.