This simple walnut cake recipe is moist and delicious with just the right blend of spices and crunch from California walnuts.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped California walnuts
- 2/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Vanilla ice cream, powdered sugar or powdered sugar glaze (optional toppings)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- In a large bowl beat together all ingredients except walnuts and toppings on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes more; stir in walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool before inverting onto a serving plate. Dust liberally with powdered sugar, drizzle with a powdered sugar glaze or serve slices with vanilla ice cream, if desired.