The hearty flavor of walnuts mixed with the crispy pastry shell make for a great combination that is perfect for any winter holiday. You can serve them warm out of the oven or make them ahead of time and serve at room temperature.
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 sheet store bought puff pastry, about 9 x 9 inches in diameter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the walnuts, Mozzarella, Parmesan, parsley and thyme together in a bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a 12 inch square. Sprinkle the walnut-cheese mixture over the dough. Brush the egg on the outer 1/2 inch edge of the puff pastry farthest away from you.
- Starting with the edge closest to you, roll the puff pastry into a jelly roll. Make sure the log is relatively tight. You don’t have to make it too compact but you don’t want it loose.
- To seal the roll, when you get to the end press the egg brushed part of the dough against the log. From both ends, gently stretch the log into a 15 inch log. Brush the top and sides with the beaten egg. With a sharp knife, slice the log into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Place slices several inches apart on 2 parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm or room temperature. Best eaten the day they are made. They can be reheated.