Tart cherries and crunchy walnuts give these scones delicious flavor. They are a beautiful addition to any brunch, breakfast or tea time!
For the Scones:
- 1 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup tart dried cherries, cranberries or blueberries
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped California walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts and oats on a baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F. In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add butter and rub with fingers or use a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in walnuts, oats and cherries.
- Lightly beat buttermilk and egg together. Stir into flour mixture just until evenly combined.
- Scoop dough in 16 equal portions onto two lightly sprayed or parchment lined baking sheets. (NOTE: You can also create triangular scones by forming the dough into a 6-inch by 12-inch rectangle. Cut the rectangle in half lengthwise, and in quarters across. Cut each square in half diagonally to create 16 triangles.) Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Cool.
- Combine powdered sugar and orange juice to make a thick glaze. Drizzle over scones. Sprinkle tops with finely chopped walnuts, pressing nuts lightly into glaze.