These chewy treats are ideal for a daytime brunch or holiday party.
- 1 cup walnuts, plus 1/2 cup for garnish
- 1 1/3 cup whole-wheat or white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter, in small cubes
- 1 large egg plus 1 yolk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup fig or raspberry preserves
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Butter an 8x8-inch or rectangular tart pan with a removable bottom, or butter and line an 8x8-inch square pan with parchment, leaving flaps overhanging the sides.
- Combine the walnuts, flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor bowl. Process until the nuts are finely ground.
- Add the butter, egg and egg yolk, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Pulse until evenly moist with some pea sized pieces of butter remaining.
- Remove the dough from the food processor; Press 2/3 of the dough along the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Spread a thin layer of preserves on top of the dough. Break the remaining dough into small pieces and scatter it on top of the preserves, covering most of the jam with some portions peeking through. Press it together where it meets the edges. Drop the remaining walnuts over the top and freeze while you preheat the oven.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the chilled tart until evenly golden brown and the dough springs back lightly when touched, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Run a sharp, thin knife around the inside edges of the tart to loosen it from the pan, and remove the tart from the pan, or lift the parchment flaps. Cool on the wire rack completely before cutting into squares. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve at room temperature.