A delicious chutney that can be served warm or cold. Great as a snack on toast with mild cheese then topped with toasted walnuts!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cups wild, frozen blueberries
- 1 cup red seedless grapes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Zest of 1 lemon, white pith removed (cut in large strips with a small sharp knife)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt to taste
Serving Suggestion: Spread on whole grain crackers or toast and top with toasted California walnut pieces.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion and ginger and cook until soft. Add all remaining ingredients except vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens and reduces, about 30 minutes.
- When chutney has thickened, stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt. Allow chutney to cool and remove bay leaf, cinnamon and lemon zest. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.