Walnuts and gorgonzola are a classic flavor pairing; here, this dynamic duo shines in irresistible mini-burgers!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb ground beef, 10% fat
- 4 ounces gorgonzola (or blue cheese), divided into 16 portions
- 32 California walnut halves
- 16 dinner rolls, small (or 2, 24-inch baguettes, each sliced into 8 equal portions, then sliced horizontally)
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and sauté bacon until just cooked but not crisp.
- Add shallots and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until water evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and let cool. Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and egg to mixture. Add beef and gently mix by hand until all ingredients are incorporated, without over mixing.
- Divide mixture into 16 equal portions. Form into thick patties, about 1 1/2 inches thick and 2 1/2 inches in diameter, tucking a piece of cheese and 2 walnut halves into the center of each patty.
- Grill patties on medium-high heat until cooked to preferred doneness. Serve in small dinner rolls or between baguette slices with desired condiments.