Delicious chocolate meringues with crunchy walnuts are perfect for special occasions or an everyday treat.
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa, high quality
- 1/3 cup California walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place egg whites and salt in large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric beater or by hand with a wire whisk until they form soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar so the peaks stiffen.
- Sift cocoa over peaks and fold in with walnuts.
- Spoon mounds about 1" in diameter and about 1" apart onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes or until dry to the touch. Let cool completely before removing from baking sheet.