Enjoy a popular Spanish treat with these crispy cinnamon sugar dusted walnut churros. They are perfect for dunking into rich chocolate sauce!
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-3/4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup finely chopped California walnuts
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups olive oil
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pour water into a medium saucepan with 1 teaspoon sugar, melted butter and salt; stir with a whisk.
- Bring to boil and add all the flour and chopped walnuts.
- Stir about 2 minutes with a wooden spoon until a smooth paste forms. Remove from heat and form a ball. Allow churro dough to cool for 5-8 minutes.
- While dough is cooling, preheat oil in large pan in electric skillet over medium heat (350°F).
- Mix 2 cups of sugar with 1-1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon in wide bowl or pie pan. Set aside cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Once cooled, arrange the dough into a pastry bag with a star-shaped tip to form the churros. Pipe dough out on a cookie sheet in 3" pieces. Cut with scissors if needed.
- Use a wooden skewer to poke through each piece vertically to allow for steam to escape during frying.
- Place 4 to 5 churros in a hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Drain on paper towels. Dredge in cinnamon sugar mixture and serve with hot chocolate sauce.
- In medium sauce pan, bring milk, cinnamon and brown sugar to a boil.
- Remove from heat immediately. Cover and let stand.
- Add flour and cocoa into milk pan and stir well.
- Reheat over low heat for about 10-12 minutes to thicken slightly. Serve hot in cups or glasses with the churros.