To serve dip, cut pita bread into wedges and toast at 400°F about 7 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Delicious also served with bagel chips, bread sticks or crackers.
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, divided
- 6 tablespoons Italian dressing, low-fat, divided
- 1 carrot, large, cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 clove garlic, small, minced
- 1/2 red onion, small, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a dry skillet over medium-high heat, cook walnuts until lightly toasted, about 1 to 2 minutes; set aside.
- In small food chopper or food processor, process half of chickpeas with half of dressing until smooth; transfer to medium bowl and reserve. Process carrot, red pepper, garlic and onion until finely chopped, but still chunky; stir into processed chickpeas.
- Add remaining whole chickpeas and dressing.
- Stir in parsley, toasted walnuts and season with salt and pepper.