A delicious, easy sandwich filled with hearty chicken salad studded with crunchy toasted walnuts. Great for lunch or a light supper with soup.
- 1/2 pound chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cooked, diced or shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, very finely minced
- 1 mango, diced and/or pulped (or 1 heaping cup mango, frozen, diced)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, reduced fat (plus a little extra for the bread, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- A dash or two of cayenne
- 1 cup California walnuts, lightly toasted, minced
- A handful of cilantro, fresh, minced (okay to include smaller stems)
- Salad greens for the bread, if desired
- Combine everything in a medium-sized bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide among 4 slices of fresh or toasted artisan bread (sourdough walnut would be great!) that have been spread lightly with extra mayonnaise, if desired, and possibly lined with a leaf or two of lovely fresh salad greens.
- Serve open-face, or top with a second slice of bread.