Give your pasta Italian flair and flavor with this hearty recipe.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes, diced, petite
- 3/4 cup mixed olives*, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 3/4-1 pound wheat spaghetti or linguine, cooked according to package directions
- 3/4 cup California walnuts, coarsely chopped, toasted
- Basil, fresh, snipped and Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
*May substitute kalamata olives.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in tomatoes, olives, capers, tomato paste and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Toss with hot, cooked pasta and sprinkle with walnuts.
- Top with basil and Parmesan cheese, if desired.