These tiny scones with toasted walnuts baked inside are perfect for an appetizer platter. Fill with carpaccio, prosciutto, shaved roast beef or smoked salmon. Top with horseradish & sour creaam mixture, mustard or chutney and garnish with fresh herbs.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup finely chopped toasted California walnuts
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup 1% milk, divided
- 24 California walnut halves
- In large bowl combine flour, walnuts and baking powder. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove 2 tablespoons milk and set aside; add remaining milk to flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead a few times until smooth. Roll or pat out dough to 3/4-inch thickness; cut into 1 1/2-inch rounds using lightly floured cutter.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Brush tops with reserved milk; top each with a walnut half, pressing slightly into dough.
- Bake in 425ºF oven 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.