East meets West with this beautiful blend of classic Korean flavors combined with crunchy walnuts atop a succulent flank steak. This modern recipe combines homemade and readymade fare in a deliciously simple meal for any occasion.
- 2 cups California walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 round French rolls
- 1 cup kimchi, sliced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine walnuts, maple syrup and soy sauce. Spread mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until light golden brown. Let cool.
- Brush steak with oil and season with salt and pepper. Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat and grill steak to desired doneness. Let rest.
- Lightly oil and grill the roll halves on the Barbeque or in grill pan.
- In a bowl, add walnut mixture, kimchi, onion and bean sprouts. Thinly slice the steak against the grain and divide evenly among 8 rolls. Top steak with walnut kimchi. Serve immediately