This citrusy, nutty hummus makes a great dip and spread. Try spreading it on panini made with grilled vegetables for a healthful, vegetarian sandwich.
- 1/2 cup California walnuts
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Toast walnuts in 350°F oven for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine toasted walnuts with oil and garlic and puree in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Add chickpeas, orange zest, orange juice, salt and pepper and continue to blend to an even, smooth consistency. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hummus in small serving bowl alongside toasted pita bread or with a variety of colorful raw vegetables.