For the salad:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup bulgur (cracked wheat) or long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or chives
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch squares (optional)
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers, julienned (optional)
for the Dressing:
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or chives
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil over high heat. Add the bulgur, or rice, and the vegetables and stir to combine. When the mixture returns to a boil, reduce the heat to low, then cover the pan and simmer 15 minutes. Set aside off heat, still covered, for 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape the mixture into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, walnuts, onions and parsley and combine by stirring and tossing with a fork. Season with pepper to taste. Spread the lettuce around the rim of a large platter.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl stir together the yogurt, lemon juice and parsley.
- Mound the salad in the center of the lettuce and spoon some of the dressing over the salad. Pass the remaining dressing at the table.